Forming LLCs & Estate Planning
The Keyt & Keyt, LLP, law firm was founded by attorney Richard Keyt, Sr. (Rick), and his son Richard C. Keyt, Jr. (Ricky). Rick is licensed to practice law in Arizona. Ricky is licensed to practice law in California and Arizona. Rick has been practicing law since 1980.
He practices primarily in the areas of business law, contracts, entity formations (7,300+ LLCs formed since 1992), nonprofit corporations and charitable organizations, estate planning (Wills & Trusts).
Rick represents start up companies and established businesses with respect to a wide variety of business legal matters such as forming new companies, commercial contracts of all types and general legal issues. He assists companies in adopting a Buy Sell Agreement, a document that is essential for all valuable companies because it contains the owners’ exit strategy after a death, disability or other triggering event.
He has extensive experience representing buyers and sellers of businesses and borrowers and lenders in loan transactions. At one time Rick was the Arizona attorney for one of the largest banks in the U.S. in connection with its loans secured by Arizona real estate.
Rick has represented buyers and sellers of raw land, commercial, residential, office, shopping centers and industrial real estate, including multi-million dollar securitized loan transactions.
Rick is the author and creator of many websites and two books. Rick’s first book is the “LLC Operations Manual,” a 170+ page that explains legal and practical issues that arise in the operation of a limited liability company. Rick’s second book is “Family Asset Protection, which people say is a great way to learn about Wills, Trusts and estate planning. This free book is full of helpful illustrations. Its purpose is to teach people how to protect their most valuable asset – their loved ones – from their death or incapacity.
7373 E. Doubletree Ranch Road, Suite 165
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
Martindale Hubbell Rating:
AV, which is the highest rating given by this respected national attorney rating service.
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York, 1980, L.L.M. in Federal Income Taxation;
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento, California, 1979, J.D., Staff Member and Associate Managing Editor, Pacific Law Journal
- Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, 1970, B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A. – Rick was a shareholder in the corporate, transactions and intellectual property departments of one of the largest law firms in Arizona.
- Keyt Lawless Zarkou Cronin & O’Sullivan, P.C. – Rick was a founder and a shareholder in a boutique business law firm.
- Keyt & Lawless, P.A.- Rick and his partner of 17 years Tom Lawless started the firm in 1984 right after the birth of the KEYTLaw Girl
Admitted to Practice Law In:
- Arizona, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Arizona 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1980
- Penn State University Alumni Association, Life Member
- Xavier College Preparatory Dads Club, Life Member & Past President
- Brophy College Preparatory Dads Club, Life Member
- RAMMS Youth Baseball League, former coach, league commissioner and director
- WealthCounsel – Member. WealthCounsel is an organization of 2,200+ estate planning attorneys working together as colleagues — not competitors — who have created the premier cutting-edge document creation system in the estate planning field.
Married to Carol Keyt since 1972. Carol is Keyt & Keyt’s office manager, bookkeeper and primary LLC legal assistant. Rick and Carol have three children. They all graduated from Arizona State University. Kari, the oldest, is a Southwest Airlines flight attendant married to a Southwest Airlines captain and lives near the Woodlands, Texas.
Son Ricky has an undergraduate degree in accounting from Arizona State University and a masters degree in accounting from Notre Dame University. Before attending law school Ricky was a CPA who worked for a national accounting firm. Ricky graduated with a law degree from Arizona State University School of Law in May of 2012 and is a member of the California Bar and the Arizona Bar.
Katie graduated from Arizona State University and was a KEYTLaw corporate and LLC legal assistant for six years. Katie is the KEYTLaw Girl.
United States Air Force, 1970 – 1976; Honorable discharge as a Captain.
Flew the F-4 Phantom II supersonic (mach 2+) fighter bomber for five years. The picture in the prior link shows an F-4E over southeast Asia with a 20mm canon (a six barreled gun capable of firing 6,000 rounds/minute) in the nose and 12 Mark 82 five hundred pound general purpose bombs – 6 on the centerline and 3 under each wing. This was a typical ordinance load for close air support missions in 1972. The outboard stations under the wings carry two 360 gallon external fuel tanks that could be jettisoned if necessary for more range and better maneuverability.
In the picture above, Rick’s right hand is resting on an AIM-9 Sidewinder infrared guided air to air missile and his left hand is on a 360 gallon external fuel tank. The yellowish rectangular strips above the wing and on the tail below the JJ are florescent lights for night formation flying.
Rick sat nuclear alert as part of the single integrated operational plan (SIOP) (with a 1 megaton