Question:  I am the agent for service of process for a California limited liability company.  How do I resign the position of the LLC’s agent for service of process?

Answer:  You must prepare, sign and file a California Secretary of State Form RA-100, Resignation of Agent Upon Whom Process May Be Served, with the California Secretary of State.  There is no fee to file the form.  Mail the form to Secretary of State, Document Filing Support Unit, 1500 11th Street, 3rdFloor, Sacramento, CA 9581. Upon filing Form RA-100, the authority of the agent for service of process to act in that capacity will cease,and the Secretary of State will give written notice of the resignation to the entity.

A non-refundable $15.00 special handling fee is applicable for processing documents delivered in person (drop off) at the Sacramento office. To get a copy of the filed document, include a separate request and payment for copy fees when the document is submitted. Copy fees are $1.00 for the first page and $.50 for each additional page. For certified copies, there is an additional $5.00 certification fee, per copy.